& Sites of Interest
History of Cameron
Born of a plank road and a railroad and spurred on by the turpentine
and dewberry industries, Cameron, North Carolina, prospered
in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Fayettville
plank road arrived in the area in the 1850’s, and with
the arrival of the railroad in 1875, a town was planned and
built by people taking advantage of the opportunities the railroad
Cameron was the end of the run for the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad.
Entrepreneurs settled here and made a substantial living in various
businesses, notably turpentine distilleries, the mercantile and
hotel trades, and especially dewberry farming and consignment.
The dewberry business became so successful that for many years
Cameron was considered the dewberry capital of the world. Surrounded
by the farmland of Moore County, the planned town developed along
the main thoroughfare, Carthage Street, radiating from the railroad
around which its major activities centered.
Along Carthage Street, Cameron’s railroad men, merchants,
and farmers built a compact community consisting of one and two
story frame and brick houses, stores, and churches displaying
elements of the styles popular in the era of 1875 to 1925. Though
the trains no longer stop in the town and dewberries are not
grown on a large scale anymore, Cameron still retains its turn
of the century character and its feeling of a modest, isolated,
Points of Interest
Turner McPherson House, 1867
Built by Dr. Hector Turner, confederate surgeonand legistlator, for his wife, Kate. Later the home of H.P. McPherson, Moore County Commissioner.
Parker House, 1918
Built by W.G. Parker, who was a telegraph operator witht he SAL Railroad and the son-in-law of Everette Borst.
Cameron Presbyterian Church 1879
Formed by members of Union and Buffalo Presbyterian Churches, this church was
also associated with the education of Cameron’s children through Daniel
McIntyre’s Classical School. The town cemetery is located behind the
church. The church is still active with regular Sunday Services.
Borst House, 1883
Everette Borst was an employee of the railroad. His wife, Elizabeth Blue, was a descendent of Dougald McDougald, who was instrumental in the construstion of the Plank Road.
L.B. McKeithen House, 1923
L.B. McKeithen was the son of Murdock McKeithen and a partner in the family's general store and continued the business until his death in 1963.
Rodwell House, 1890
Moses Britton, local hotel owner, built this fine Queen Anne House for his daughter, whose husband, Ed Rodwell, was an agent of the railroad.
Cameron Methodist Church 1886
Built by Duncan and Allen Campbell. It is noted for its New England style architecture
and its little-altered interior. The church is still active with regular Sunday
The Greenwood Inn
Built in 1874 to accommodate railroad men and drummers (traveling salesmen). Once a boarding house and tavern and recently an Antique Shop. Now available.
McFayden House, 1878
Neil A. McFayden was a prosperous Cameron merchant before the turn of the century and a seller of saddles and harnesses, later the home of J.A. Philips.
McLean House, 1920
J.D. McLean was a banker with the Bank of Cameron and later a Moore County tax collector.
John C. Muse House, 1878
John Muse, with his brother, Andrew, established Muse Brotheres Merchantile in the 1870's.
Old Cameron Jail - Built
in the 1880's and used until the early 1920's. This
building was recently restored. Click
here for larger versions of these pictures.
<< Return to top of page